Rugby players are being warned against sharing towels and ice baths after government scientists found potentially life threatening superbugs
Sportsmen and women are being warned against sharing towels and ice baths after scientists investigating an outbreak of boils found potentially life threatening superbugs in an investigation at a rugby club.
The bug, called PVL-MSSA usually causes skin infections but can lead to the flesh eating necrotising fasciitis and can be fatal.
The full name is Methicillin Sensitive Staphylococcus aureus (MSSA) which produces a toxin known as Panton-Valentine Leukocidin (PVL) and it is difficult to treat with antibiotics.
The findings are being presented at the Public Health England conference at Warwick University this week.